Indonesia
Indonesia was my last stop before heading home. This country is made up of over 17 000 islands! I was fortunate enough to visit three of them; Bali, Lombok and Gili Trawangan. Each of them offer something unique and beautiful, although each has breathtaking scenery.
In Bali we walked through the Jatiluwih Rice Terraces, found hidden waterfalls and trekked to the top of a volcano (and that was just in the first 3 days!). We visited hot springs, coffee plantations, and elaborate temples. We watched many traditional dances and went to a yoga studio that will forever hold a special place in my heart.
Lombok was the next island on our list, so we hopped on the 5hr. ferry and set off towards the east. Here we visited a local village and got to learn about the way of life of the people. The villagers even treated us to a musical performance as well as a traditional fighting match. While in Lombok we also had the opportunity to visit the home of our local guide. He is currently in the process of making it a travel destination for people wanting to climb Mount Rinjani - an active volcano, the second highest in Indonesia. His place is exquisite and the construction is a whole family affair. He has even won awards for his creative design. Its definitely worth the trip even if you don’t feel like climbing the volcano as the beaches in Lombok were unreal. The water was crystal clear, the white sand felt heavenly between the toes and when a heard of buffalo came walking down the beach it was just like something out of a movie. I could have stayed there forever. As we watched the sun set over the ocean, I couldn’t help but think that I was in some way handing it over to you, as your day was just about to begin.
Gili Trawangan, or Gili T as I like to call it, was our final destination in Indonesia. This island is only accessible by boat and has no cars or other motorized vehicles. The only modes of transportation are horse and carriage or bicycle. Considering it only takes around 40 minutes to bike around the whole island, this doesn’t seem to be a problem. If anything, it adds to the island’s charm. While there, we were able to snorkel around the island and saw so many great fish. We even saw 5 sea turtles! This was so amazing and I kept wanting to pinch myself as I swam alongside them. I don’t have any pictures of this yet, but can’t wait to see the ones others in my group took. The remaining time we had on Gili T was spent exploring the shops, biking around and eating lots of great food. They have so many delicious restaurants there where you eat right out on the beach. It’s pretty much heaven. But sadly after only two days, we had to leave this paradise and start the trek back home.
After almost two days of airports and plane rides, I made it back to my “imaginary island” at the edge of the Atlantic Ocean. Not surprisingly, the snow was falling at full force and at times you couldn’t see the hand in front of you driving down the highway. Thankfully I was greeted at the airport with hugs and smiles as well as a hat and mitts. Although my trip was amazing, saying I’m happy to be home for Christmas is an understatement. It’s been so nice to spend time with my family these last few days and I’m looking forward to catching up with all of you as well! The new year will bring new adventures and I’ll be back soon to tell you about what those will be. Until then, have a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year.
~Ms. C ❤️



























Comments
Post a Comment